The Department of Health and Ageing has developed a professional development training package for allied health providers working under the Better Outcomes in Mental Health Care (BOiMHC) Access to Allied Psychological Services (ATAPS) program. The ATAPS Telephone Delivered CBT Training is designed to provide professional development training for practitioners who deliver services for people with high prevalence disorders such as anxiety and depression who may experience barriers to accessing mental health treatment for any number of reasons (e.g. living in a rural or remote area), or who simply prefer the telephone modality for service delivery. This training on the telephone delivery of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (T-CBT) is aimed at providing best-practice guidelines, resources and reference materials including:
- Provide learners with general considerations for delivering T-CBT
- Equip clinicians with strategies and recommendations to adapt CBT using the telephone modality
- Present a guide to conducting risk assessment and management plans over the telephone
- Introduce learners to other telecommunication devices used in the mental health field such as the internet and videoconferencing.
This online course is the next iteration of the ATAPS T-CBT Webinar Training developed previously by the APS for a select number of rural and remote Divisions of General Practice. Under the ATAPS framework, allied health providers have been have been defined to include psychologists, social workers, mental health nurses, occupational therapists and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers. For details about the ATAPS program please click here.
Upon completing this training course, allied health ATAPS providers will be eligible to work with clients using T-CBT under the ATAPS initiative.
Please note that you have six months from the date of registration to complete the online course.
Assumed knowledge: This online course assumes learners have some fundamental understanding of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). The course is not intended to provide comprehensive training in CBT-rather; it will give a brief review of the CBT approach, and then focuses on adapting CBT to delivery by telephone. We suggest that you undertake the APS online CBT Fundamentals course if you need to refresh your knowledge of CBT.
- Module 1 - Course Overview
- Module 2 - Introduction
- Module 3 - The Right Modality (Appropriateness)
- Module 4 - Optimising T-CBT
- Module 5 - T-CBT in Action: Risk
- Module 6 - T-CBT in Action: Techniques
- Module 7 - Comparing Technologies
- Module 8 - Conclusion
- Eight self-paced topics
- Each module includes a printable material, online video/audio presentations, interactive activities, check your learning questions and answers, case studies, readings, and other relevant resources to enable you to demonstrate active learning in your annual CPD portfolio
- Certificate of completion
Duration of enrolment
The course duration is 6 months from the date of your course registration.
What do you need to access this CPD?
You should be able to access this online CPD with a modern computer (including access to a printer) that is less than three years old. Please check with your IT supplier and your internet provider that your computer and internet service has the following:
- An internet connection with a minimum of 512Kbps bandwidth
- An audio device such as speakers or headphones
- A screen with a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels