Working with Muslim Clients
|Presenters||Shehzi Yusaf, Clinical Psychologist|
|Description||This seminar will assist psychologists specialising and interested in counselling / working with Muslim clients. It will give psychologists an awareness of the issues that Muslim clients face. We will discuss the issues encountered, and the skills and attitudes required to effectively provide psychological services.
This session will be case study driven and there will be time for discussion and review with a panel including Jasmine Sliger; Cross Cultural Counselling & Organisational Psychologist who will facilitate the workshop and outline the challenges of working with Muslim Clients and Trisha Carter Cross Cultural and Corporate Psychologist
The learning will achieve the following outcomes; Participants will:
1 .Learn about the basic tenets of Islam.
2. Gain understanding of the challenges that face Muslim populations in Australia
3. Recognise key issues faced for a psychologist working with Muslim clients
4. Understand how mental health is perceived for Muslim populations
5. Gain an awareness of possible assessment approaches /tools
6. Identify therapeutic approaches that may be more helpful with clients where different values around gender and religion are critical issues.
|About the presenter(s)||Shehzi Yusaf, a clinical psychologist and convenor of the Psychology from an Islamic perspective Interest Group will be our speaker.|
|Location||NSW Metro, Australia|
116 James Ruse Drive, Rosehill, Parking Free VENUE MAP http://www.rydges.com/hotel/RNPARR/Rydges-Parramatta-Sydney/location.htm
Please contact the event organiser to confirm if this venue is wheelchair accessible
|Start/End Date||20 Nov 2012|
|Time||5:30 for a 6pm start|
|Cost||$35 for members, $45 for non-members|
|Organiser||IG - Psychology & Cultures Interest Group (NSW)|
|Contact Name||Jasmine Sliger|
|Telephone||02 9417 6211|
|Fax||02 9417 6911|