Perinatal Non-Directive Counselling is an online training program for health professionals working with women who have any personal concerns about a current or recent pregnancy, whether it has been full-term or part-term (including a planned termination).
The training program includes a range of online learning materials, including case studies, learning activities, relevant readings, and multiple-choice assessments. Successful completion of this training program will meet the mandatory requirements of eligible Psychologists and Social Workers to offer services under the Pregnancy Support Medicare items (MBS item numbers 81000 and 81005).
More information about this Medicare Pregnancy Support Counselling service can be found by clicking here.
- Section A Training Module: Review of non-directive counselling skills
- Section B Training Module: Pregnancy-related counselling issues
- Section C Training Module: Pregnancy-related information resources
- Three self-paced learning modules
- Each topic includes printable briefing papers, case studies, interactive activities, readings, and other relevant resources to enable you to demonstrate active learning in your annual CPD portfolio
- Participants must successfully complete an online assessment for modules B and C in order to pass the course
- Certificate of completion.
Please note: this course is an updated version of the Mandatory training in non-directive pregnancy support counselling course. The course was updated 23 March 2012 and is now called Perinatal Non-Directive Counselling Training. If you completed the original course before 23 March 2012 please do not register for this course. When you login to the APS website the course may be marked as 'Not enrolled', please ignore this and do not register. APS has recorded that you have completed the original course.
Duration of enrolment
The course duration is 6 months from the date of your course registration.
What you need to access this online course
Learners should be able to access this online course with a modern computer or mobile device (including access to a printer). Please check with your IT supplier and your internet provider that your computer and internet service has the following:
- An internet connection with a minimum of 512Kbps bandwidth
- An audio device such as speakers or headphones
- A screen with a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
The APS Institute recommends that persons considering the online training should read its eLearning FAQs.