The Award for Excellent Higher Degree Thesis in Health Psychology is offered for the purpose of encouraging and rewarding outstanding research in health psychology at the Doctorate or PhD level.
The Award may be offered at each Australian tertiary institution that has independent membership of the Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee and has an appropriate APAC-accredited program.
- The APS College of Health Psychologists is responsible for administering the Award and for funding of the Award.
- The National Committee for the APS College of Health Psychologists will appoint a selection committee of at least three (3) members of the College to be responsible for selecting an appropriate candidate for recommendation to the Board.
- The selection committee will not comprise a person from an institution from which a nomination has been received.
- Nominees need not be members of the Society.
- The Award for Excellent Higher Degree Thesis in Health Psychology may only be conferred upon students who have, within fifteen (15) months of the date for close of nominations received written advice from his/her tertiary institution confirming eligibility for conferral of his/her Doctorate or PhD.
- A call for nominations for the Award for Excellent Higher Degree Thesis in Health Psychology should:
- be advertised in InPsych
- be provided to the Heads of Department of each tertiary institution that has independent membership of the Australian Vice-Chancellors' Committee.
- Candidates must be nominated by the Head of Department of an Australian tertiary institute. Candidates may be self-nominated to their Head of Department but it is the Head of Department or their nominee who must submit a nomination to the Society.
- Only one candidate can be nominated by the Head of Department from each Australian tertiary institution.
- All nominations should be prepared in collaboration with the supervisor/s of the thesis.
- Nominations should be addressed to the Chair of the APS College of Health Psychologists and received by the National Office prior to the closing date via registered post.
- Nominations must include:
- Title, abstract, table of contents of the thesis with appropriate supportive evidence such as publications, presentations arising from the thesis etc, as well as a copy of each of the examiner's reports
- a letter of recommendation from the principal supervisor, of no more than one A4 page, outlining why the thesis should be considered 'excellent'; and
- If short-listed, submission of the thesis may be required.
Value of the award
Successful candidates for the Award for Excellent Higher Degree in Health Psychology will receive:
- a letter from the Chair of the APS College of Health Psychologists that recognises the excellence of their achievements in studying psychology
- an award of $150 and a certificate
- an offer of one year of Student Subscriber membership of the Society at no cost provided that the successful candidate makes an application for membership within twelve (12) months of receiving notice of their Award. Any successful candidate who is an existing Student Member of the Society will be offered their following years membership at no cost.
Nominations close 31 July 2013.
Please send nominations to:
Award for Excellent Higher Degree Thesis in Health Psychology
Member Groups Administrator (Colleges)
The Australian Psychological Society
PO Box 38
Flinders Lane VIC 8009
Tel: 03 8662 3300
Kayla Chelsey de la Haye, University of Adelaide
Aleena Wojcieszek, University of Queensland