Specific areas of practice
Organisational psychologists have specialised skills and knowledge in the following areas:
Recruitment and selection
- Development of selection criteria for jobs and identification of the best assessment tools.
- Assessment of knowledge, skills and abilities, and potential and personal fit for specific jobs using techniques such as assessment centres, psychological testing and behavioural interviewing.
Learning and development
- Analysis of training and development needs for individuals, teams and/or the whole organisation.
- Design and evaluation of skills and behavioural training programs.
Leadership and talent management
- Provision of advice and support to organizational leaders in relation to how they lead, engage and motivate their people.
- Establishment of a talent management framework, including succession planning, to identify and better manage critical roles, critical people, strengths and gaps.
- Introduction of programs to develop and retain top performers and next generation leaders.
Coaching, mentoring and career development
- Provision of individual assistance, coaching and mentoring to improve work performance.
- Design and implementation of career development processes for an organisation, along with individual career planning and vocational assessment.
- Design, implementation and evaluation of people related change management.
- Development of programs to help leaders better manage change and drive performance improvement in their part of the organisation e.g., handling change fatigue, building resilience.
Measuring employee opinions and other workplace research
- Development and analysis of surveys of employees or clients/customers.
- Research such as identifying which work behaviours predict future success.
- Design, implementation and evaluation of performance management systems that link in with business strategies.
- Development of employee incentive programs to drive desired behaviours and results.
Wellbeing, stress and work-life balance
- Development of programs to improve employee wellbeing, commitment and engagement.
- Development of policies and practices to enable better management of the work-home interface.